Police obtained a search warrant for the cell phone of actor Alec Baldwin on Thursday in the investigation into the fatal shooting of a cameraman on the New Mexico set of his western film in October rust, court documents showed.
The search warrant and accompanying affidavit were filed with the Santa Fe District Court nearly two weeks after a prosecutor who oversaw the investigation said some people who had handled guns on the set could potentially face criminal prosecution for the death of Halyna Hutchins.
Chris Noth denies sexual assault allegations against 2 women, saying they are “categorically wrong”
The warrant authorized investigators to seize Baldwin’s Apple iPhone to investigate text messages, email correspondence, social network communications, browsing activity and other information stored on the device, according to the documents.
A sheriff’s detective, Alexandria Hancock, said on her affidavit that she requested an injunction asking Baldwin to hand over his phone after voluntarily requesting it from the actor and his attorney and “being put on an arrest warrant “.
Omicron FAQ: Everything you need to know about the COVID-19 variant
Support for COVID-19 Lockdowns Decreases As Omicron Spreads In Canada: Poll
Neither the warrant nor the seven-page affidavit identified any specific material investigators looked for on Baldwin’s phone.
But suspects, victims and witnesses “often make and / or receive phone calls and / or messages before, during and / or after the commission of crimes. Such information, if any, may be material and relevant to this investigation, ”the affidavit stated.
“Survivor” season 41 finale: Toronto woman the first Canadian to ever win
It added, “Several emails and text messages have been sent and received regarding film production.” rust in the course of (police) interviews ”after the shooting on October 21.
Baldwin has admitted he was keeping a Colt .45 revolver pistol on the film set when it went off during rehearsals and fired a live cartridge that struck Hutchins in the chest, killing her. Director Joel Souza was injured.
But the actor said during a television interview that he never pulled the trigger and denied responsibility for the shooting. He also said at the time that he had no idea how a live round got to the set of the film.
5 children dead after “terrible” bouncy castle incident in Australia
According to Detective Hancock’s arrest warrant, the film’s “gunsmith”, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who was in charge of guns on the set, said when questioned that she had allegedly loaded six “dummies” into the gun prior to the illness. Trial of fate earlier that day.
Gutierrez-Reed also reported that she had difficulty inserting the sixth cartridge into the barrel of the weapon and only managed to “clear it out,” the affidavit said.